Database Design Service
The database design service will typically be delivered through several on-site workshops followed by a documented design and report. The core design workshop modules are:
- Technology Options
- Database Modelling
- Database Architecture
Choosing a database is a long term decision and changing that decision later can be a difficult and expensive proposition. Our independent position in the marketplace combined with the skills and experience of our multi-platform database experts provides the base for a compelling service to help our customers pick the right database technology for the right job. This database design model is there to help our customers test and challenge their default database vendor choice. The rise of NoSQL and the rapidly evolving database technology market provides customers with a wide range of options. Answers to questions such as the below examples, can result in very different technology and vendor choices:
- What type of data is the project using (numbers, records, text, complex etc..)?
- What is the volume of data and how fast is new data generated?
- What are the read vs write volumes and ratio?
- What are the security requirements?
- What type of transactions are expected, do they need to be atomic?
- How many users/devices access the data concurrently and what is the anticipated growth?
- Does the data need to be distributed?
- What is the core development environment language?
- How much computation is involved in data analysis?
- What the project budget and internal skills/ support capability?
- What other technologies need integration?
- What is the preferred infrastructure choice e.g. Cloud, Dedicated?
- What are the potential scaling scenarios?
The database technology options module typically consists of a 1-2 day onsite workshop followed by a recommendations report.
Developing a well-designed data model and schema at the beginning of a project is key to achieving better performance, simplified queries, and optimisation of the infrastructure deployment for your application. During the engagement, our experienced consultants collaborate with you and your team to gather the data and query requirements.
The consultant creates a design draft based on your application requirements, with consideration to other requirements such as multi-tenancy, Warehousing etc. and then delivers a final database design report with best practice recommendations.
The type of database i.e. Relational, NoSQL: Document, Key Value, Columnar or Graph will drive the core focus areas of this design workshop as there are large variations in data model requirements. You can expect to come away from the engagement with a clear understanding of how the chosen database technology data model works with recommendations tailored to the needs of your business. You will also develop an understanding of the process for designing performant queries and schemas.
If you are looking for high performance and availability from your database deployment, then the Onomi Database Architecture Design service will provide you with a blueprint to achieve your goals. Typically a 2 – 3 day design workshop with the development and operational teams, this service addresses the following design areas:
- Application & Business Needs Assessment
- Performance Requirements
- Security Requirements
- Distributed Deployments and Replication
- Infrastructure Requirements
- Scaling (Vertical or Horizontal)
- High Availability
- Capacity Planning
- Disaster Recovery & Backup
Following the workshop Onomi will deliver a high level design and a detailed report of recommendations.